Choosing senior sessions outfits can be stressful and very overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be with some planning! My number one tip is PLAN AHEAD!! This process can be fun but not if you wait until the last minute! I send a senior style guide that is FULL of details one month before our scheduled senior session to give you plenty of time! You definitely don’t need to buy a whole new wardrobe, after all you want your photos to reflect you so shopping from your own closet is great! Consider buying 1-2 new outfits or pieces to compliment what you already have. My favorite boutique is Poppie’s Boutique, you can always find something cute there! You can also consider renting a dress from Nash Gowns for something completely unique!
Here are some general planning tips:
- Make sure all of your outfits are ironed, hung together and have shoes/ jewelry to match!
- Don’t forget undergarments (nude is best)- if you wear a strapless top or dress, bring a strapless bra option!
- Clean shoes that go with each outfit
- Functional clothing – if you want to get the most out of your poses, you need to be able to sit, squat, stand, etc.
- Variety! Think casual, dressy, school/ sports related, fun, and maybe something out of the box!
- Choose clothes that fit well and accentuates your best assets – make sure to try things on!
- Don’t be afraid to overpack! It’s better to bring extra and not use it all verses not having something!
What to avoid:
- Wrinkled clothing – make sure to iron or steam everything and bring it all on hangers
- Undergarments that don’t match or bra straps that show
- Dirty shoes
- Dresses, skirts or shorts that are too short, it will inhibit moving/posing
- Ill-fitted outfits that accentuate problem areas (you want to feel your BEST at your session, if you are insecure about something you are wearing it will be difficult to get comfortable)
- Too many outfits of the same type or color. We all a “go to” look but you want lots of variety in your photos!
When planning your outfits, don’t forget to ACCESSORIZE! Stacks of bangles, long necklaces, statement pieces, scarves, hats, bright shoes and other add-ons can make an outfit REALLY stand out! These items not only help your outfit look better but it will give your photos more variety and interest.
Was this blog on choosing senior session outfits helpful? If so here is another blog on senior session planning tips!